Re: Esrolian conflict

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:28:50 -0000

Peter Larsen wrote:
> Heh. So Esrolian conflict might focus on a) diplomacy and
> related skullduggery and b) goading others into attacking you.

Agreed. Let's face it most of us in the modern world spend our lives in non-violent conflict - we call it politics. I do not know about goading others into attacking you though. I'm not sure Machiavellian politics - the end justifies the means - prevail here. Have to think on that...

One interesting point is that IMO we (Europe) moved away from 'violence is an option' in our legal codes when we had a strong authority to kept the peace and prevent 'might is right' from being the law. We might want to postulate that Esrolian authority, in the form of the Queens, is stronger than Heortling tribal kingship, and that the soldier keyword then represents a police constabulary available to the central authority to enforce the law as much as anything else. Indeed the earth tribe probably would not have the Storm Tribe's philosophical fear of a strong ruler becoming an Emperor - making a cenralised authority more palatable. Esrolia may lean much more towards 'the needs of the many outwiegh the needs of the few' over 'no one can make you do anything'.

In that case suitable subcults to develop for Esrolian soldiers might emphasise this policing role and have justice affinities as well as combat ones. Perhaps a Vinga the Enforcer cult ?