RE: Return of the King

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:54:33 +0200 (EET)

[WARNING - mild spoilers ahead]

The famous battles are terribly simplified. :/

The battle of Minas Tirith is supposed to be a military victory, not a special effect like it turns out to be. Where are the dunadan, where are the horseman enemies of Rohan.

But Gandalf was great. Not much flash-bang magic, as is proper, but he fought like a Gloranthan hero and shone with his own inner (hero) light.

The battles vere parhaps the weakest part (apart from making Gimli a comic character... the nerve!). There are some very beautiful moments in the quiet parts of the film. Cate Blanchett is as radiant and elfin as ever. All the other elves either have a tracig combination of blonde hair and black eyebrows (shudder), or a five-a'clock-shadow. Cate's combination of perfect poise and grace, and a warm smile is a wonder to behold.

As was already pointed out, something very Nasa like happens to the scale. Everything is scrunched up, the distances between places and even the city of Minas Tirith.

At this point, I've been most happy with the long version of the "Fellowship of the Ring". Parhaps the directors cut will fix some of these things.

Worth watching still (I guess), but terribly dumbed down.

Watched "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" for contrast, and I have to say it's a much better fantasy movie.

        -Adept