Map scale... again!

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:01:39 -0500

Hey folks,

I was pouring over the wonderful map included in Dragon Pass and plotting my groups next adventure* when I noticed something odd. The Dragon Pass map fits almost perfectly with the map of Tarsh on the back of the Unspoken Word's Tarsh in Flames book (also drawn by Wesley Quadros). For example, the distance from Dunstop to Long Lake is 2cm on both maps. This is really neat, and useful to boot. But...

The map scale printed on the Dragon Pass map is almost exactly half that of the Tarsh in Flames map. In other words, ten miles on the Dragon Pass map is 20 miles on Tarsh in Flames. Since the map scale on Tarsh in Flames is twice that of Dragon Pass, I would have expected the distance to be 4cm on Dragon Pass if Tarsh in Flames was 2cm.

I am assuming that the DP scale is correct since it is in an official Issaries Inc publication, and is roughly in sync with the excellent map of the Lunar Empire on Issaries' website (again, by the talented Mr. Quadros) - Dunstop to Long Lake is roughly 10 miles on both maps.

Your compulsive cartographer,

~Kevin McD

*Yes, my group's normal stomping ground is the Western Reaches but the Survilstar Dragonslayer heroquest they were performing went horribly wrong... (cue evil laughter)