Re: Naval Encounters

From: tezboyesuk <herowars.yahoo_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 22:45:50 -0000

I've been thinking of running a small sea-based campaign for a while, as a followup to the Cradle.

There isn't much info to be found in official publications, Elder Secrets mentions Sea Trolls (similar to Cave Trolls), Mermen (of which there are several types) and Waertagi (sp ?).

Unofficial sources are a tad better, there's the pre-finished work Missing Lands and Tales Of The Reaching Moon #10, both of which cover a lot of background info on the oceans of Glorantha. Also Tradetalk #4 has a fair amount on the islands south of the Holy Country.

Also well worth looking at is the old library section on glorantha.com which has some additional info including some race and creature writeups. I'm sure there were some excerpts from the once planned but now vanished companion to Anaxial's Roster as well.

The southern coast of Genertela is a main trade route (one of the reasons the Lunars attacked Pavis and Corflu IIRC), so there's plenty of scope for meeting some odd foreigners. And where there are merchant ships there are going to be (Wolf) pirates.

Then there's the Chaos Sea Monsters, gorp, giant squid, islands that turn out to be creatures.

And finally you can't go far wrong going right back, close to the beginnings of western literature and myth, Homer had a fair few ideas about adventures at sea :)

--
tez