Re: bows in the cold?

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 11:51:11 -0800 (PST)

Brian wrote:
> apparently). The steppe nomads in asia must have
> had to deal with
> deep cold, but I don't know if the necessarily used
> them much in winter (not the best time for war, and
> much hunting may have been done by other means)

If I remember right, the Mongols actually invaded (and defeated) Russia during the winter (and the 1241 invasion of Poland was definitely in the winter), so either it wasn't a problem or any increased fragility was offset by other advantages. (And they may have been fairly light winters, too.)

Which seems odd, in a way, since you'd think the various materials (horn, wood, sinew, glue) in Mongol bows would respond to temperature differently. Huh.

Cheers,

James

Find out what made the Top Yahoo! Searches of 2003 http://search.yahoo.com/top2003