Re: Greg Stafford on Fetches and Commentary

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:46:28 -0500

Wulf Corbett wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 20:09:28 -0500, Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
> wrote:
>
> >Greg: I asked if a shaman could integrate or capture a spirit after
> >fighting it and driving it below 0 AP. The consensus was "No"; a shaman can
> >fight off a spirit attack on This Side, but must cross over and engage the
> >spirit in order to capture or integrate it.
>
> Hmm... I don't see why though... best place to capture any enemy is
> where he's in alien territory, and weakened. Possibly this is tied up
> with the old debate about mights & fetishes - that a spirit in a
> fetish did not suffer the Alien World modifier. Thus, capturing a
> spirit suffering from the Alien World -20, then stuffing it in a
> fetish, would INCREASE it's might by 20... But, with a Complete
> Success, can the Shaman demand one service of the spirit and release
> it, thus either sending it out on a single task, or learning enough
> about it to add it to his Tradition?
>
> Wulf

No. Its tied up in the fact that the fetch is YOU or something very closely tied to you. A fetch is not something that goes into a fetish. There's no 'oh its on the other side' mechanic that's preventing it, stealing a fetch just that its not something that can be done. To imply it could be seems vaguely power-gamerish, at least to my cynical old eyes.

According to Stephen Martin (and Greg), the best even a Great Spirit might do is *destroy* a shaman's fetch or take it away -- ***IF*** that great spirit was the one who awakened it in the first place.

Lesser beings are not nearly so capable.

So, no taking someone else's fetch. Not without killing the Shaman and at that point, you're dealing with a ghost anyways.... which is probably a rapidly departing shaman+fetch which is in a bad mood.

Jeff