Re: Gbaji lies! (Was Re: Illuminated Uroxi?)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:27:51 +1300

Agent Groove wrote:
>How to reverse this? Delve deeply into Uroxi myth. Understand *why* Chaos
>is false and wrong and seeks to destroy the universe, which is it's
>unalterable, essential nature. Chaos can not be made to work for good,
>because it is *not* good, objectively.

Objectively this last statement is false because the Lunar Empire has been able to make chaos work for good.

>Certainly, there may be obscure Harmast based Heroquests where Harmast shows
>that the Deciever is inherently and unalterably false,

Harmast doesn't teach that the Deciever is false because Harmast already knows that from personal experience.

>and where cosmic law
>is shown as essential for the survival of the world.

The Illuminate already knows that Cosmic Law is essential so this is hardly earth-shattering. What he also knows is that Chaos and other perspectives have the same level of validity.

> Superfically, Urox rampaging may not seem that
>different from the Crimson Bat. On a cosmological level, it's *entirely*
>different. Urox is the last gasp, the stubborn refusal of life to
>surrender. The bat, however, is merely selfish, suicidal hunger, that cares
>for nothing.

The last statement is wrong. The Bat is Illuminated by the Red Goddess and anything that it devours, animal, plant and mineral, is utterly Illuminated (Glorantha: Intro p125). People have difficulty in accepting this but it's true.

>By erasing this, Nysalor/Gbaji seeks to create one more front
>where Chaos reclaims the world.

Nysalor does not seek to reclaim the world for chaos because he never was chaotic. Gbaji certainly does but he has other tools at his disposal besides Illumination.

>As an alternative, I'd let a Uroxi use Hero Points to buy off the
>Illumination ability by deeply immersing himself in Uroxi ritual and prayer,
>gaining his god's understanding of Chaos and why it must be fought.

He already gained his God's understanding of chaos when he initiated into Urox. What he now knows from Illumination is that such knowledge does not and can never answer the doubts that gnaw at him. Illuminates (the type described in RQ) are in a state of existential torment and attempts to solve their illumination by ultraorthodoxy are doomed to failure.

My own personal take on Cults of Terror-style illumination is up at:

http://www.btinternet.com/~nick_brooke/moonie/illumination.htm

But it's based on obsolete terminology alas.

--Peter Metcalfe