Re: Illumination

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:13:41 -0000

> and Hero's Book). Is that a misreading on my part, or is it being
> deemphasized in more recent publications?

Illumination has never been emphasizen in any publications, just mentioned enough so we know roughly what it is.

It isn't relay very important because it's extremely rare, even among heroic characters. From the point of view of non-lunar characetrs illumination is a weird hazard best avoided. From the point of view of lunar characetrs, it's simply not a big deal.

> And on that note, I don't have a clear idea of the sorts of themes
that
> illumination can, er, shed light on. ...

For non-lunars I'd say it's basicaly a form of curse that makes the characters feel like foreigners even among their own kin. They lose their moral compass and risk drifting from being well meaning heroes into accidental anti-heroes. Right-thinking folk will stop short of some actions or tactics on moral grounds, but illuminated heroes are likely to sacrifice morality for a 'Greater Good' that becomes more and more nebulous.

Simon Hibbs