Illumination

From: kmnellist_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:18:33 EST

In a message dated 20/01/04 21:49:35 GMT Standard Time, HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

<< However, I haven't gotten the sense that it's deeply important from the
> Issaries publications I've read (all but the most recent -- Dragon Pass
> and Hero's Book). Is that a misreading on my part, or is it being
> deemphasized in more recent publications? >>

I think it was over-emphasized in RQ but that the over-emphasis was more the result of a fun (if slightly silly) game mechanic/process rather than a thing that was over-emphasised in publications or written about much. After all we all needed justification for funny little old men asking peculiar riddles in all our fantasy RPGs. Come on, admit it was fun. The other fun thing was the gradual build up of *that* percentage for you tiny little chance each sacred time. So I think it was players and GMs who over emphasised it (similar to the "too many PCs in the cult of Humakt" syndrome).

It was also a handy plot device in Big Rubble for one of the broo leaders to not kill and eat everyone he could, but hold them captive and ask them stupid questions until they were illuminated.

Keith