Re: Illuminated - help!

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:28:52 -0000

Peter Larsen

> Heh. Here we see "advantages" used as "flaws." Li Mu Bai is pretty
> much hampered by his relationships: Avenge Master, Love Yu Shu Lien,
> Ashamed of Love for Yu Shu Lien, the Green Destiny Sword's rating,
> Pass on Martial Skills, etc. To drag this back to Glorantha, a similar
> thing happened to Ingolf Dragonfriend in the EWF (KoS) -- his urge to
> help his kin overcame his desire to stay on the Path, and it destroyed
> him. His good intentions kept his failure from being as bad as it
> might have been, but he's a good example of how not to be a mystic.

So this makes a good mystic a failed one?

Seems like becoming Humakti, severing all pre-existing ties, and then severing one's cult ties would be a good start for being a mystic.

Basically, this makes me wonder whether a mystic may experience failures to refute distractions or seductions, or whether this means once failed, never transcendent? Is mysticism forgiving?

Was old-Testament Job a mystic?