Re: Greg Stafford on Fetches and Commentary

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:14:32 -0000

> Another point is that it can be difficult to allow shaman
characters to
> gather powerful spirits if they aren't allowed to bind those they
defeat
> in the mundane world. When you have five players they aren't going
to take
> kindly to one of their number constantly having to roleplay
situations
> where they aren't involved.

Exactly! Either that or I have to think of some evil way to get all those theists dragged into the Spirit World... that would keep them busy while I gather some spirits... maybe theirs...

> As a compromise we've been playing with "a defeated spirit in the
mundane
> world can be bound into a fetish if the shaman's bind wins a simple
> contest against the spirit's might".

I'd say a Complete Success unless it was from within her Tradition.

> As for capturing a person's spirit, I would think they would need
to be
> (a) an animist and (b) dead.

Also (c) you've HeroQuested for the ability to catch the spirit as it leaves the body, and (d) have you made up that HQ yet, Andy? :) I've got a Spirit Talker with a nasty temperament who doesn't like her 'subjects' getting away just by dying...

Wulf