Re: Re: Maximum Game Fun vs. Setting Fidelity

From: S. Ben Melhuish <sben_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:15:58 -0800

Kevin P. McDonald wrote:

> To make a long story short... in the contest of Maximum Game Fun vs
> Setting Fidelity, MGF should always win.

And it's almost a non-issue, when it comes down to it: The setting is so huge that there's plenty of room for puma people and origamists and lost Dara Happan cities under glaciers and a culture which believes they are all reincarnated dragonewts (and may even be right, especially once the hero proves it to be so on a difficult heroquest!).

Setting Fidelity seems, to me, to be another way of saying "adhering to canon without trying to enhance it". And anything that makes both you and your players happier is, by definition, an enhancement to Your Glorantha. Setting Fidelity intimidated me when I was first discovering Glorantha (via the Hero Wars books) several years ago, but I am learning to free myself from those shackles. [Insert dubious analogy with dragonewt reincarnation here.]

--
Pile on!
http://pile.org/