Re: Greg Stafford on Fetches and Commentary

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:52:29 -0000

> I think ghosts are fair game as they are embodied by being bound to
a place
> or object. If they could escape to the spirit plane they'd be long
gone.
> The resistance might be high for ghosts tied by powerful magic.

I think we could expand this (unless Greg has specific reasons to be dead set on his ruling), to say that EMBODIED spirits can be bound or commanded when defeated in the mundane world, disembodied ones cannot. Reasons: spirits already embodied are not suffering the Alien World -20 modifier, and so would not suddenly gain 20 might when trapped!

This is, of course, just my take on things, but would allow capturing & learning the Tradition of such stuff as Ghosts, Disease & Healing spirits (if you adhere to the idea they are embodied), and spirits already in fetishes. Of course, you could already command fetishbound  spirits, but this would give a reasoned expansion of that specific case to a general one.

Wulf