Re: Re: Uz society

From: S. Ben Melhuish <sben_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:11:52 -0800

Fr�d�ric Cloutier wrote:

> This influence is true in a KL society (because of the KL influence) but in
> male dominated society (either AA or ZZ), female influence, as you point out
> would be removed (or at least diminished). We agree.
>
> Naturally the female faction you try to regain power and work for it. We
> agree.
>
> At worst the females only need wait another generation to regain power.
> That is were I am not so sure. That they might do it, I have no doubt.
> That it is certain to happen, I disagree. I'd assume males would try to
> counteract mothers' influence on offspring.

Don't discount the importance of the mythological in Glorantha. If Gloranthan societies were more like modern Earth societies in being far removed from their founding myths, I'd agree with you. But Kyger Litor *is* what make Uz what they are; I see it (in my admittedly incomplete understanding) as analogous to the way that the Red Goddess is what makes Lunars what they are: it's pretty much by definition. And as a result, Uz society sort of gravitates towards matriarchy.

Certainly, things could happen to change Uz society away from a matriarchy, but I see it as being about as difficult as shifting Heortling society away from Orlanth. Sure, it can be done, but at a very high cost, and it probably will be only partly effective (short-term, or only a few clans). Or if it's effective in the long-term, it would have significant unforseen side-effects (the way all world-changing heroquests seem to do).

(Er. In My Glorantha, I mean.)

Anyway, for me, it's those consequences that make good, wholesome gaming fun.

--
Pile on!
http://pile.org/