Heortlings and inheritance

From: Bryan Thexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:21:15 -0000

I can't recall seeing much on what the Heortling customs on inheritance of goods are. Obviously a lot of your wealth (i.e. cattle, rights to fish a particular spot, etc) belongs more to the family or bloodline than yourself. I'm thinking of more personal, but possibly still valuable items: swords, chain shirts, torcs, items of power, fine furnishings and clothes, things like that.

Are there strict rules? Are there essentially no rules and you make a will? Does it get divvied up amongst your kin? Does it all get given to the clan chief to give away as he or she sees fit?

I'm sure there must be a reference to this somewhere, but so far I'm not having much luck finding one (mind you, I have very little of the fan-produced material where so much of the cultural goodies are found).

--Bryan