Re: Uz society

From: gerakkag <gerakkag_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:30:27 -0000

Simon wrote:

>Why would they be indistinguishable from Trolls if they're not
>trolls?

Because definitions of uz can vary. : ) What I mean is that Kyger Litor has Her definitions, which are final, and known chiefly to Herself. But uz are imperfect (damn Komor!) and thus their definitions vary.

Do most uz think that the Kitori are real uz? At least IMG, for many uz the Kitori are suspect, they're foul, they're not real trolls. But clearly, they *are* uz -- they keep cranking out uz kids. Kyger Litor doesn't think they're not trolls.

Similarly, I would think that there are other (deviant) traditions that have sprouted up, that KL hasn't bothered with but nark off Her worshippers.

And, sure, you can have the "weird Uz clan that's left KL and are doomed, but pretty much everyone else still thinks they're trolls." I assume that hooman magic kills "trolls that look like they're trolls," and doesn't make any assumptions about uz beliefs. I'd think uz sun-killing magics (say) work just fine against

>Are there things that look like Aldryami, but aren't?
Aside from rootless elves? : )

>elder race beings that lose their other runic connections and only
>have the Man rune left will become human is only a very technical
>proposition. In practice it would be almost impossible for it to
>actualy happen that way.

I always had the impression that Muri were the result of a disaster, and slashers the result of some unspecified (and unintentional, I assumed...) but still "bad" happening. Why can't a troll "ditch" the connection to KL and become a man? That's up to men to decide, I'd think -- I'm not sure uz would worry about the definitions.

And I'm less sure that Aldryami and Mostali can't lose the connections -- after all, being rootless and being "defective" seem to carry the same connotations. If an elf wants to be human or a mostali wants to be human, I assume their societies say "What the hell ever. Get out." If local humans adopt 'em in, that's their business.