Re: Heortlings and inheritance

From: Jeff Kyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:00:49 -0000

Thanks John!

I'm more curious about brideprice/morning gift/dowry. As a rule of thumb I am working with 1/4 or 1/3 of other spouse's weregild (using the bride's father's price if need be)

But thats a hard and fast thing. I think that negotiationg something involving 2 baskets of winter berries and the first black calf each year are just as intereting.

> > Obviously a lot of your wealth (i.e.
> > cattle, rights to fish a particular spot, etc) belongs more to the
> > family or bloodline than yourself.
>
> Rights to land, natural resources etc. are distributed by chieftains
> bloodlines

Odal rights, if I recall?

And what do I do if my chieftan converts? Performing public goonage of the Chief is bad for the lungs...

> Most major assets will belong to or be reclaimed by the person's
bloodline:
> this is the Orlanthi Way.

Yes. Legally, there really isn't any smaller _legal_ unit than the bloodline or stead (depending on situation)

> However, there is a lot of cultural common sense attached to
> divvying up a dead person's goods, and its a ritual of honour and
memory, a
> pledge to take on outstanding debts and unfinished obligations and
much as
> receiving wealth and mementos.

This is a very good point. Vows left undone may force the deceased to rest unpeacefully. And sometimes you have obligations you inherit -- carrying on feuds & vendettas are a good place to start.

> Wealth of course, means cattle. Upon initiation, a young man
receives a
> starting herd from his blood, and also takes gifts ('loans', but no

Raiding for cattle (and sheep), my son! It builds healthy bones, strong reputations and fast wealth. Chicks dig raiders.

Only losers, stickpickers and hungry bandits raid for just sheep though.

> Heortling would ever think in so vulgar a fashion) from senior men
and women
> of clan. In return he acts as a client: he offers support to these
sponsors
> in the moot and in a variety of practical ways until the gift is
repaid. A
> young man will have many gifts to repay, and older, more established
man
> will have clients of his own.

I am very strangely reminded of the very formal Roman Client/Patron relationship here. But I recall something similar existed throughout celtic society and was also extremely prevalent in Iceland (the Thingman and the bondi he spoke for at moots)

> kin anyway). Support of widows and children will *automatically* be
> assumed by the bloodline - its so basic that no one would need to
give

Though it may not be as high a lifestyle as they had before -- death brings changes to the social hierarchy. Of course, its a good excuse for pulling a wicked-stepmother on some hero.

> the death of both bride and groom.) Depending on individual and
kinship
> circumstances, such diverse investments and obligations may be
'inherited'
> as well as personal goods, *especially* between brothers.

In some ways the bloodline functions as an incorporated entity.

> A man or woman of high status will have many of their personal goods
burned
> or buried with them.

Even the meanest Heortling will be burned with weapons and armour. he needs them! Even an enemy is left something -- even after plundering. Unless you really don;t like him -- but be prepared for a vengeful ghost.

> There's not much official at the moment. Dare I say that Thunder
Rebels will
> help fill in the blanks?
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Some stuff, I think. But this write up is _excellent_.

Jeff