Re: Cultural weapons

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:55:23 -0800 (PST)

> From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
>
> Chris :
>
> > The High Llama broad sword might be made from a
> > Llama thigh bone. That makes it long, probably
> > single-edged, for slashing, perhaps with a bump
> > at the end where the knee was.
>
> Business end or non-business end IYO ?

I'd think you'd hold it at the hip end, so that the hip ball balances the weight in the length. The knee bulge would make a axe-like cutting edge with weight behind it when swung (like a polo hammer, to hit Impalas).

> Or would this be a YwhitesmithWV thingy ?

Zmith? What are these zmithz you speak of, Outlander?  We carve bone.

> > Praxians work bone and horn pretty well.
> > Apart from rocks, it is the hardest thing
> > that have available to them.
>
> Gloranthan bone has often been described as
> a *metal*, remember ...

Yeah, but that's GODS' bones.

> I think that a sufficiently proficient
> craftsman/magician could probably shape
> bone as easily as any other metal,

It is not a metal. It is carved, then glued if needed, then enchanted to hold together.

> so there must be bone vases, bone war chariots,
> bone plumbing in ancient tada-shi dwellings etc ...

Bone containers are a possibility, though I don't see a lot of Praxians arranging flowers in bone vases. Chariots are nearly useless in Prax because of the roughness of the terrain. The tada-shi would not have needed to work bone.

> Bone can be enchanted, or so I understand
> Sandy's suggestions, to be as hard as bronze
> (but I'd agree that, even so, it should remain
> relatively brittle** ... ).
>
> ** In HQ terms, maybe any sufficiently bad
> failure in a contest would lead to the
> weapon/armour/shield/whatever
> shattering ...

I agree that it can be sufficiently enchanted to be treated as bronze. This would be a story consideration for me, so I woul dnot make it a mechanic. For example, if the clan lost its best weapon-maker, the clan might be reluctant to engaged in pitched battles. Apostates would find their bone weapons were more fragile than normal. Etc.

Oliver:
> It was my impression that Praxian weapons are
> made from the bones of relatives or ancestors.

Interesting impression. Do you know of any canon source for it? I could see ceremonial implements for Daka Fali. However, the bodies of Waha men are cremated (in a culture where wood is at a premium, indicting that the dried-manure fire must have some magical help) and the bodies of Eiritha women are buried. In neither case are the remains generally retained, or marked, or placed for future access. I don't see this leading to a surplus of ancestral bones. That said, I could see the Daka Fali getting a few relics along the way. Their magic probably helps them find bones.

Chris Lemens

Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online. http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html