Re: Troy - The Movie - Pavis Lives!

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:42:22 -0000

Heck, I still draw on plenty of Bronze Age sources for Glorantha - especially the Heortlings (and Vingkotlings). The Illiad and the Odyssey are great sources of inspiration - but so is the Heimskringlasaga. Much of my thinking about Glorantha ultimately stems from ideas I had while doing an archaeological internship in Greece.

The problem with Bronze Age sources is that it is mostly archaeology and Homer (which are dangerous to combine - see Schliemann). There just isn't as much known about Bronze Age societies as there is about Viking Age Scandanavia or Anglo-Saxon England or Medieval Irish. There certainly aren't as many surviving tales and stories (Gilgamesh aside).

For what it is worth, "The Age of Bronze" is a comic book adaptation of the Illiad and is a great source of visual and storytelling inspiration.

Jeff