Re: Re: Heortlings and inheritance + (Worship)

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 01:06:07 +0000

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 16:55:26 -0800, "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_sierratel.com> wrote:

>Every culture (RW or Gloranthan) has its view of "what happens to you when
>you die". In Glorantha, these various and varied afterlives are all equally
>valid, and usually true.

Yes, and I accept the ancestral part of it all (although knowing Great Uncle Fred has become just an anonymous and indistinguishable part of a collective doesn't strike me as a very honourable way to go). The bit I find irritating is the split between 'ghosts' and other spirits on one side and Daimones on the other...

"Now then miss, you reported trouble with a haunting right?"
"Yes, so I called up the 24-hour Shaman. There it is there!"
"Ah, well, sorry, miss, but that there's a daimone, not yer spirit
type at all. Nothing I can do there."
"What? But it's see-through, moans, and floats around incorporeally!" "Sorry about that, more than me jobsworth dealing with a daimone. Union would be on me in a flash. You want the God botherers for this job"

Seems to me the dividing line shouldn't be so rigid and arbitrary. What's a spirit to one can still be a daimone to another, without misapplied penalties. Shamans have always, in 'reality' (depending on terminology, of course) dealt with little local powers, the sort of thing that could just as well be defined as a daimone and thus be completely beyond any shaman's abilities.

And will TR clear up just what a Ghost is? Can you get ghosts of theists? If not, what are they? And who can exorcise them?

Wulf