Re: Re: Heortlings and inheritance + (Worship)

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:27:58 -0500

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> Daimones are not "beyond a shaman's powers", it's just more difficult (-20)
> to deal with. Remember that most disembodied thingies wandering around will
> *probably* be deceased members of your own group, and your local "talker to
> the Other Side" (godtalker, shaman, priest...) will be able to deal with it.
> In Heortland, most disembodied thingies will likely be Orlanthi souls. In
> Prax, most disembodied thingies will be animist spirits, and your shaman can
> whip them into line. When a foreigner dies and starts haunting the area, of
> course it will be more difficult to lay to rest (even a disembodied Dara
> Happan will be "foreign" to the local Ty Kora Teki - she may have a bit more
> trouble sending it on its way. But then, "foreign ghosts" are trouble in RW
> cultures too.

Yes, they tend to invade and steal all your hard grown opium!

> >Can you get ghosts of theists? If not, what are they? And who can exorcise
> them?
>
> Usually a god will ensure that his worshippers get to the right place after
> death, but sometimes he can't. Yes, you can get disembodied theist souls
> wandering around for one reason or another. Godtalkers and priests are the
> ones to lay them to rest. Every culture has a cult that deals with death and
> dying, funerals and rememberance. The normal orlanthi one is Ty Kora Tek
> (not Humakt, he deals with *DEATH*, a much more serious thing).

Of course if you've been bad, that arch bad-boy Gagarth and his hounds may just hunt your soul off its path and leave you to drift in the Middle World until you're dispatched or helped.

> Personally I would probably assign a modifier similar to the "Other Side
> Safety" Mod. A Ty Kora Tek godtalker trying to lay the soul of a Dara Happan
> to rest would suffer a "Dangerous" (-10) mod due to the natural antipathy
> between Storm and Sun, Dara Happa and Heortland, Orlanth and Yelm.
>
> RR

Interesting. Sort of like the Alien World modifier. This has the virtue of not creating any new charts and tables. Thus, that Dara Happan we crucified last week would be at that -10. And that Meldek we killed would be a -20.... I knew we should have taken him off to tula before offering him up...

A bloodthirsty,

Jeff