Re: Re: No common magic feats for Heortlings [was: Heortling Collectives for Common Magic]

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:58:19 -0500

At 04:02 AM 2/24/2004 +0000, Jeff wrote:
>I have just been told by Greg while dealing with another matter that
>you can be a member of a Pantheon *and* a Tradition. God and spirit
>help you if you try to concentrate though...!

         I'm not sure it should be a huge problem -- if the pantheon has theist and animist elements, both the theist and animist members should be able to do the communal stuff with no (or few) penalties. So the Kolating can participate in the clan ceremonies without disrupting things as long as he acts as Kolat. He gets whatever benefits everyone gets; his only limitation is that he can't get a feat out of it (which isn't too likely to happen in communal worship anyway). Your not suggesting that there are communities where people might actively split worship between gods and spirits, do you -- where someone could be an initiate and a spiritist? That would be a pain....

>It would count as community support... Its a community. I might apply
>a penalty but remember, mixed worship is the norm for Glorantha.
>Quite a lot of folks will at least be members of a common religion
>that will accomodate this sort of behavior somehow.

         That's what I figured. I think the system breaks down a little at this end, but most community worship is pretty much story color anyway -- it's not like you do the Sacred Time rituals and everyone gets an affinity, after all, or even a measurable bonus. If your community includes theists and animists, the theists get theist-y benefits and the animists get animist-y benefits, both of which are, fortunately, vague -- the herds will do well, the wyter is strong, the Ancestors are happy, the spirts are pacified, etc, etc -- a good Sacred Time ritual; expect a prosperous year. No game mechanical effects to worry about, in most cases.

Peter Larsen