Re: Re: No common magic feats for Heortlings [was: Heortling Collectives for Common

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:26:13 -0500

At 02:01 PM 2/25/2004 +0000, bethexton_at_... wrote:
>I think the most common form of concentration is towards a magic
>system, except that most Gloranthans probably see it more
>as "purifying your soul" (or spirit, or essence)

         I think you are right here. Concentration is much more prevalent in societies that encourage initiation and devotion (and the corresponding stages) -- a lot of Pelorians, for example, wouldn't bother.

>But there are examples of concentrating on a "god." The lunars can
>do it, MoLaD tell how to do it for Donandar and Lanbril.

         This is really more concentrating on a religion -- when one devotes to a specific god, you give up most of the magic of your religion. So the Deezola devotee gives up any common lunar magic she might have. Only defiant entities offer their devotees more than one kind of magic. (Interestingly, animist and sorcerous characters don't have this limitation -- a wizard can join as many groups as will have him, and shamans can interact with many practices. What this "means," I have no idea.)

>For me, I think making players choose between broad, weak, powers,
>and more focussed, more potent, powers is dramatically interesting.
>Also, to me, one of the key battles in the Hero Wars is between the
>otherworlds and the mixed world. But I can certainly see the sense
>behind letting players have as many toys as possible too.

         And if any time finds a way to let people "break" the cosmological rules that define concentration, the Hero Wars would be that time....

Peter Larsen