Re: Re: No common magic feats for Heortlings [was: Heortling Collectives for Common Magic]

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:19:14 -0800

> BTW, the Flesh Man common religion lists *only* Talents. From my
> understanding, Talents are magical powers of the Inner world. Does a

All common magic is "magical powers of the Inner world", but it come from Inner World beings that are tied by their nature to one of the Otherworlds. The Spirit in that Berry Bush obeys all the strictures of the Animist otherworld, except that it lives *here*, in that berry bush. The magic is gives is ruled by the Animist rules, even though it "originates" in the inner world.

> concentrated Theism user retain knowledge of these Talents? I'd say yes,
if
> they are part of the hero's religion. I see no reason why a Devotee of
> Orlanth Thunderous wouldn't keep the old Flesh Man tricks and chants he
> learned before Initiation. Further, I'd let him advance in them at double
> cost.

No, he doesn't, for two reasons:

  1. Concetration focuses on one magical system to the exclusion of the others. Talents are not Theistic feats, so are not retained when the person focuses on Theism.
  2. A devotee must "abandon all magic that does not come from his god", and that includes calling on the pantheon for help. (Page 118, first line of "Benefits & Obligations).

> I would hold that for Devotees, the 1/2 Hero Point cost applies to all
magic
> *that is normally practiced as part of your cult*. So, those Animist
charms
> used by an Odaylan hunter have their normal cost, as opposed to a double
> cost, but they must be Charms strictly from Odaylan 'tradition' and
ritual.
> I would also make the Lhankor Mhy alchemical scroll use cost the same as
> normal Affinities, but an LM would be limited to *strictly that use* of
> Wizardly magic, as it is part of his god's myth and lore. I'm not certain
> how the Lhankor Mhy Alchemy will be handled, with the new HeroQuest
Wizardry
> rules.

Odayla's animal charms and Torvald's grimoires are outside of normal theistic practice. You'll notice that both Odayla and LM have split natures - Spirit & Theist for Odayla, All the Otherworlds for LM. They eventually made the choice to become Gods, but kept some of their other nature as well. However, this magic that they kept does not come as easily to them (or their followers) as theistic feats. This is intentional on the part of the writers!

> Perhaps an option could be to concentrate *strictly on your cult's magic.*
> You get the break on your cult's magic, but can not learn anything else,
> even of the same magic type from allied cults. This might be the
procedure
> of weird, mixed magic obscure practices such as Arkat heresies.

This is already the case for Devotees. You don't get magic from Allied Cults like you used to in RuneQuest. You don't even get to call on other gods of the pantheon for aid, even if your god can't help you ("Sword: Oh Humakt! I have a splinter in my finger, please help me get it out" Humakt: "My son, I am the God of Severing. Do you *really* need that finger? I'll give you the bravery you need to amputate it...")

RR
- Richelieu