Re: Start of the siege of Whitewall

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 12:19:42 +1100

>Andre:

>Right after the Lunars invaded and crushed the Holy Country (1616)?
>Or later on?

I'm not sure of what you mean here. The actual seige of Whitewall, or the Lunar harassment of the Volsaxi?

This is from Joerg's page:

http://www.toppoint.de/~joe/hcpeople.html

1619 When the Lunar invasion forces assembled in Sartar, Brian called sent out the Red Arrow and called the warriors of the Volsaxi to his standard. Rather than offer Fazzur an open battle (and repeating the disaster of 1605, when Fazzur's cavalry raid was stopped before Karse only by an order to retreat), he made his troops skirmish against the Lunars while preparing the fortress city of Whitewall for a siege. Fazzur left sufficient forces under Jorkandros Blinder to besiege Whitewall until the arrival of the Crimson Bat and pushed further south to take Karse in an assault. However, when the Bat arrived, Brian and his household of heroic companions slew the monster.

There is further info on the progress of the Whitewall siege in OID which modifies the above slightly, but does not, from memory, give any exact dates. Given that a) it was a campaigning season, and b) the Lunars pushed on to take Karse, the seige probably began in mid to late Fire Season 1619, and came into full effect sometime in Earth Season 1619. I think the siege built up gradually as the Lunars realised that Bryan had prepared the city. I don't believe it was ever **completely** isolated or cut off, even in the darkest days of 1621. Heroes could get in and out, but supplies and materiel were much more difficult.

I'm also in the process of compiling background info on the siege of Whitewall, which I want to use as a background for a whole host of stories and scenarios. I think the siege has **incredible** potential as a storytelling nexus, Sartar's Iliad and Y Gododdin combined. It's also the time when Sartarites of different clans and herobands are forced together for the first time, when Bryan and Starbrow prove themselves, and where the besieiged have to start getting inventive with heroquests that all begin and end from the city. In other words, its the birthplace of the Hero Wars. So many stories to be told... of herodom and cowardice, rivalry and resentment, death and honour and names that live forever.

So if you do decide on an actual date, let me know. I'll build on the same assumptions. :)

John