Re: The Magic of Others - learning Theist magic (Was Heortling Common Magic thread)

From: jeffrichard68 <richj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:00:25 -0000

> I just tend to forget them in the heat of a game...

Boy does that happen a lot. Fortunately, so do my players!

> > Sure - and I would suspect that there is a much better chance
that
> > an Asrelia worshipper would be able to contact Asrelia than
there is
> > that a non-Asrelia worshipper would be able to get Divine Aid.
>
> A 10w3 resistance rather than a 10w6 one (HQ 116).

Seems the game mechanics already solve the problem.

> The gods are jealous beings, that don't like people that never
write or
> call? That spend all their time with *one* God instead of hanging
around
> with the whole group? A God gets as much from a devotee of another
god as he
> does from a mere communal worshipper, and gets rebuffed or ignored
most of
> the rest of the time. The devotee has made it clear that any god
but his own
> is of purely secondary importance in his little world.

Maybe. I don't think that the Heortling gods are jealous beings like the Greek gods - they (especially Orlanth and Ernalda) by and large seem to actually *care* about their people.

> But if you're *really* intent on having devotes ignore the rule
(also on
> page 116 as well as 118, I notice), how about this:
>
> They face the standard "Pantheon Divine Aid" 10w6 resistance
for "Crossing
> the Worlds" (Page 116), *plus* additional resistance equal to
their
> "Devotee of Wrong God" ability (or, just that ability's auto
augment as a
> penalty, if you're being nice) - the more you have devoted
yourself to one
> god, the less likely the others are to listen to your requests. I
suppose
> you might throw in some mods for "But Orlanth got help from XXX
during YYY",
> again if you're feeling nice. This makes it possible, but less
than ideal,
> for a devotee to contact a pantheon member and get a result. You'd
actually
> be better off with a Communal worshipper that has *no* affiliation
with a
> particular god than a devotee of the wrong one.

This makes a lot of sense to me and seems to feel more *Gloranthan* than the game mechanic prohibition.

Jeff