Re: Re: Heortling Marriage, Courtship, Bridewealth

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:39:09 -0500

Tim Ellis wrote:

> John(>>) & Jeff (>)
>
> >>For example, clans in prescriptive alliances can only take husbands
> >>or wives from a single or narrow range of partner clans. "We are
> >>the Rich Pudding Clan, we take our wives from the Pickled Walnut
> >>Clan, and our daughters marry the Roast Turkey Clan."
>
> Which gives you a chance to pull Romeo & Juliet type scenarios where a
> son of the Rich Pudding Clan falls for a daughter of the Roast Turkeys -
> or even the boiled sprout clan. If one or both are PC's can they deal
> with the disapproval of their families and ancestors. If they are NPC's
> can the PC's keep them apart/bring them back if they elope/come up with
> a solution acceptable to all parties.

Romeo And Juliet scenarios are fine -- but only if everyone dies!

> >This also collapses if one of the allied clans suffers disaster --
> >there are no men or women to marry.
>
> Another campaign seed. Our clan traditionally marries our daughters to
> our allies the blue squirrel clan, but mischance has left us with no (or
> too few) women of marriageable age. What can we do? One solution may
> be the Nandan Route - but there is always another way. We can adopt
> women into our clan (providing we are rich enough to tempt them - The
> fact we can promise husbands may bring some women from clans where there
> are too few men in the potential husband pool). For added fun, the most
> promising source of new clan members of the appropriate age and sex is a
> clan we are currently feuding with...

Marriage Contest! Feast. Feats. Suitable dowries (not small but not large). You'd also be looking at fosterage and adoption.

Oh, that would be lovely for a clan that got hammered into the ground during the rebellions. I LIKE this. Might I use it?

> Alternatively, IIRC the children of Thralls are free cottars. It is
> probably bending the rules a bit to go on a raid with the express
> intention of capturing a family to turn the parents into Thralls, and
> immediately freeing the children to make suitable marriage partners.

Sick. Sicksicksick. I like it. I'm sure there's an Orlanthi bedroom farce tucked away in that idea. And it might.. hurm... that's just strange. And probably somehow wrong.

Its sounds like an idea Vadrus would come up with. Its twisted enough.

> Any attempt to bring in extra members of the clan to make suitable
> marriage partners is almost certain to offer suitable repercussions in
> the future...

Heh... that's par for the course. I'd be ashamed if it didn't. Anything aplayer does should cause some repercussions. But if they do nothing, it should be worse. Life as an Orlanthi is like Dynamic Equilibrium. It stays the same but it looks like it takes a lot of work to keep it so.

Jeff