Re: Duck-Point

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:35:47 -0000

Do not forget that the ducks do have a town - Stone Nest (see DP:LoT). So if you want urban ducks that is the place for them.

Duck Point was built to complete Sartar's ritual, but was never a real city after the Colymar refused to join the project. IIRC we do explain this in DP:LoT. Colymar prophecies required their lands to be 'a place of the vine' and they refused involvement in building a 'town'. To complete his ritual Sartar did a deal with the ducks. But Duck Point is only that.

That's the official stuff from II and GS. Now IMG I envisage Duck Point as a shell with facades of buildings, streets that end nowhere, and towers that were never guarded. Just enough to have a 'city' for his ritual but little else. Think of cargo cult warehouses and airstrips, non-operational but built to draw in the cargo from heaven. Maybe the Ducks have to go to Duck Point every so often to hold rituals so that the magic of the kingdom works. And just maybe since the Lunar pogrom ducks no longer enter the city, and their failure to complete their rituals is just another reason why no one can make the Flame of Sartar do anything more than flicker. Perhaps the ducks returning to complete their rituals in Duck Point is vital to the kingdom's restoration. But what rapprochment can be offered... But that's just me.

As for the 4 cities. While I like the 4 storms idea an alternative could be the 7 directions. So we get Jonstown, Wilmskirk, Swenstown, and Duck Point as the cardinal points. That leaves Above, Below and Inner. I suspect Boldhome, the heart of the kingdom is the Inner wind. That just leaves Above and Below. WHat did Sartar do in those directions?