Re: Re: Heortling Marriage

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:04:40 -0500

Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> Jane Williams:
>
> I keep seeing this "marriage outside the clan" thing, and feeling
> >puzzled, and today I actually pulled out KoS and looked it up.
> >P250.
> >"Bloodlines are exogamous, which means that members of the same
> >bloodline can never marry or have sex with each other".
>
> See also p254 under Marriage Issues:
>
> "Clans are exogamous and the wives must come from someplace
> else".
>
> --Peter Metcalfe

Such little condradictions in Heortling law are what keep the Andrin lawspeakers busy.

I'd say you marry outside your bloodline as a matter of course (incest taboo) and out of your clan (social taboo) but if you really, really have to marry in the clan you can do it. And you're probably not going to be too popular. I think its a bit of a social scandal. No one can make you do anything -- and neither can you.

But I think that the majority of marriages are within the tribe... if only for reason of lack of travel. And the fact that having an alliance-by-marriage with the Sylangi isn't going to help you much if you are a member of the Culbrea.

Jeff