Re: Re: Heortling Marriage, Courtship, Bridewealth

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:37:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Ian Cooper wrote:

> Really an hw-rules issue but off the top of my head, one way to
> handle weregild in abstract HW terms would be using Wealth. In order
> to pay weregild for someone you have killed test your wealth against
> theirs (i.e. the resources you can call on from your clan against his
> economic value to his clan). This is not a suggestion that the
> weregild is equivalent to something else that can be bought for the
> same price. Just because leather armor is 15 this is not a suggestion
> that Garrath weregild is a suit of leather armor, it is a comparison
> of your ability to pay and his worth. So values would be:

<snip values>

This makes paying weregild a bit easy. You have a roughly 50-50 chance of affording the weregild for someone of the same social standing, and considerably better chance for someone of lower standing than you. Whereas the weregilds should be high enough that an individual should have almost no chance of paying them.

I can see raising all Ian's figures by a mastery would work, though. Tough enough that you would have to rely on your clan to pay, but not so much that the clan would normally struggle.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net