Re: Re: Heortlings and inheritance + (Worship)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:48:02 +1300

Wulf:

> >What's wrong with:
> >
> > Ghosts are malign spirits of the unhallowed or unhappy dead,
> > doomed to haunt a specific place or object. Most things that
> > die do not become ghosts, only those trapped in the spirit
> > world.
> > AR p231.

>Nothing, but it doesn't explain
>a) how a theist 'spirit' (or whatever) GOT to the spirit plane
>(assuming you believe there can be ghosts of theists),

Since theists (and mystics, draconists and sorcerers) can reach the spirit plane in the HW rules, I don't see why the path has to be spelled out before we can entertain the possibility that such entities exist.

>nor

>b) whether said theist's ghost has any theistic powers (in other
>words, can a ghost still worship a god? Does death defeat belief?).

         "A few ghosts retain some of the magic they knew in life."

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

>Note that, although I agree peacefully dead theists do not become
>ghosts, there could be reasons why a theist might stay a ghost - to
>take one example from our campaign, to atone for past crimes (while a
>thanatari mad head ghost).

A trifle unclear. He is trying to atone for sins committed while a mad head ghost? I was under the impression that the release of the mad head ghost does not cure it of insanity but only sends it to the afterlife.

>c) whether there is any need for different techniques to be used to
>combat them

I don't see why there should be. The Abiding Book's blessing of Resist Spirit will work on ghosts simply because they are entities of the spirit plane (despite the fact that the blessing is sorcerous).

--Peter Metcalfe