Re: Re: Dream walking?

From: Jennifer Geard <geard_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 11:49:03 +1300

By the way, Unn is the Ernaldan Hearthmistress character concept who intrigued me in my RQ days, but didn't fit into standard game-play as a PC. Now the issue is that I don't yet know the world well enough to play her, so I'm currently playing her Vingan daughter and writing up Unn's story as it falls into place.

I wrote:
> > The actual discussion with Stephen was about why an Ernaldan
> > devotee would _stay_ married to someone once they'd become a Wind
Lord.

Bryan:
> How about "There is no accounting for love?" And by this I mean not
> just of Unn for Viggo, but also of Valmar for Viggo and Valmar for
> Unn. So no matter what instigated the marriage, Unn loves Vigo, but
> he is pulled by his god. Everyone says "he's lost to you, get a
> divorce." But she doesn't want to...there is still something that
> she loves in the little of him that she sees. At the same time
> Valmar is an incredibly loyal brother, and knows that having to lose
> his wife and kid for his god would be crushing for him, and he wants
> to see big brother be a hero. So he steps in, and makes it so that
> she doesn't have to divorce just to survive.

That's the way things are shaping up. It's a useful pattern. Thank you.

This is more consistent now that I've caught up with the current description of Wind Lords. Supporting a Wind Lord sounds like the sort of thing that could add to the clan's mana. The clan might sometimes feel afflicted with a hero, but there are some positive social aspects to the choice as well as the negative ones.

As we've discovered, a Wind Lord is a disciple, and disciples can channel their god. I still think Viggo has always been god-ridden: that the discipleship is something that sought him out rather than something he wanted and worked for. This is important to me for at least two reasons. Unn's choice would have been coloured differently if she thought Viggo had actively chosen to abandon her and the family, and I'm curious about how something that's seen as god-originated action fits into a world where action is generally initiated by people: "Leaders get power from followers" and "People made gods in their own images".

However, the problem I was having with "There's no accounting for love" in the Unn-Viggo relationship is that I don't think love alone is enough for a follower of Ernalda Allmother. Duty runs strong, and she _must_ ensure that her children are looked after. I think we've got that covered now.

Cheers,
  Jennifer