Re: Re: Dream walking?

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:34:08 +1100

>I guess my question becomes: Do the Heortlings have a taboo against sex with
>people from your clan/bloodline, or only against marrying them? I had
>assumed that the "Only take a marriage partner from outside the clan" was
>for incest-taboo reasons, but I guess economics might be enough - although
>I'm not convinced.

Not having sex with your bloodline is probably part of the cultural air they breath, though its not often talked about. I mean, do we constantly lecture our kids about not having sex with siblings or first cousins?

And like the first cousin rule in our own society, things get a bit vague at the edges.

That's human nature. :)

>And if they're _not_ bonking people from their own clan, who do they have
>affairs with?

I'd run with elders turning a blind eye to sexual experimentation, just as most do in our own cultures. Orlanthi are pretty free on most sexual matters, and don't attach a particular value to virginity: we discussed this at length for Thunder Rebels, but I don't have a copy close at hand to check right now.

Though people don't draw a one to one correspondence between the sex lives of the gods and their own - for gods have a duty and obligation to spread there essence around - Ernalda is no shrinking violet when it comes to lovers. Neither is Orlanth. Sex, like wisdom and a cold discerning eye, is a natural part of women's magic, just as bragging and violence and falling in love three times a week is part of being a Heortling male. (Yeah, its essentialist and a bit stereotypical, but at least we've shuffled the stereotypes around. :))

Young men often travel after initiation, to build a name and a herd and to find a wife. There's a certain fluidity to stead composition. Any stead will have a number of guests - usually unmarried young men. The elders will be checking them out as possible marriage alliances, the young women will be checking them out a little less theoretically.

Young men and young women travel to the shielings with the sheep.

Young women will tend to be 'protected' by their brothers, and as hearths are communal, there are few secrets. But there's understanding too, and here lies the most potential for individual storytelling.

But marriage is very different, and much more serious.

Cheers

John