Re: Re: Distances? Trave Rates!

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 09:32:01 +0100 (BST)

> For what little it is worth, I'm fond of the
> "league" as a unit of
> measure. The modern league is three miles/five
> kilometres, or about
> what you walk in an hour.

> My rule of thumb is that in good land where the
> danger level is not
> excessive, villages will be about a league apart
> Someone living in
> old agricultural areas of europe could probably
> check those distances more accurately.

This agrees with the area I live in: considering only those villages old enough to be in the Domesday book, that is. Some villages are closer, some a bit further apart, as decent village sites aren't evenly distributed, but three miles sounds about right.

Jane Williams

WIN FREE WORLDWIDE FLIGHTS - nominate a cafe in the Yahoo! Mail Internet Cafe Awards www.yahoo.co.uk/internetcafes