Re: Re: Map Bias

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:15:44 -0400

At 03:06 PM 4/14/2004 +1200, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>ObGlorantha: What cultures would use map orientations other
>than North?

         It seems not unreasonable that Lunar maps would treat the Crater as the Center of the World and count seven directions (aligned with that ring of phase temples outside of Glamour?). "Up" would not have to be North, but Full or Crescent-Come.... I could easily imagine the Dara Happa having a similar system, but I think there are sources that give them North, South, etc.

         I'm not sure the Kralori care about the rest of the world much, so their maps might only deal with the elongated rectangle of Kralorela and its immediate neighbors. This shape would fit best onto scrolls with East or West at the top (when read at a desk; hanging on the wall, it's a different story).

         Since magnets point to the Pool (or am I mis-remembering this?), a lot of maps probably have "Pool-direction" as up....

Peter Larsen