Re: re:Alakorings and Heortlings

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 10:35:15 -0000

> Yelmalio replaced Elmal within Old Sartar rather thoroughly (the
> degree is dependant on the needs of the campaign - although Thunder
> Rebels may say otherwise) but as to his spread in Tarsh and Peloria,
> we are just told:

I don't think so. Monrogh and the other few thousand Yelmalio worshippers left Old Sartar for the Sun Dome lands. They are exiles not mainstream. Tarkalor neatly deals with the internal religous strife and the Kitori in one blow. From Greg's Q&A on the web:

"In Sartar the great hero Monrogh established the cult. He originally worshipped Elmal, the sun of the Orlanthi pantheon, but followed other lights and entered into doctinal disputes with the Orlanthi priests who normally ranked over the sun. Monrogh was challenged by Prince Tarkalor of Sartar to reveal his god who was stronger than Elmal, and he revealed Yelmalio. As proof, Monrogh led the conquest of the Kitori, and Tarkalor granted him the wide conquered lands to honor and recognize the new god and his worshippers. A few thouand people departed from the worship of Elmal and converted to Yelmalio, then left their homelands and settled in the new grant by the Creekstream River. Monrogh established regular relationships with the other temples of Yelmalio throughout Peloria. Monrogh also sent worshippers to settle near to Pavis where they re-established the old rites on a temple that there"

Don't forget that KoS created a few issues that needed to be resolved. AFAIK this was one attempt to do that. Note that there existing temples of Yelmalio that Monrogh contacts.

Can't remember the exact details of John's campaign; N.Sartar population is converted by Havar Ironfist in Righteous Wind rebellion rings a bell, so agreed perhaps the adoption of Yelmalio is not coterminous with the Alakorings for N.Sartar, but later following the invasion.

As to your Esrolian comments, well it was just an idea, as they are a matriachal culture that has structural simalrities to Heortling culture with an mythically rich, female centered earth religion. I had not heard of the example you quote, but I'll look into it.

Ian