Re: Re: Distances? Travel Rates!

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:03:48 +0100

bethexton_at_... writes:

>- Anyone have pre-train travel times to any of the relevant points
>from London, to use as a best case for Sartar?

Stagecoach travel times in 1750:
>From London to Oxford, 13 hours
>From London to Dover: 27 hours

Both of those distances are about 60 miles, which shows the vast difference a good road (London-Oxford) can make, compared to the poor roads in Kent. 60 miles is also the distance from Boldhome to Alda-Chur or Wintertop.

>- Anyone have info on the tribes of southern england when the Romans
>arrived? It would be interesting to see how their size compares to
>the Sartari tribes. Even better would be if there were any
>population estimates.....I

The area covered by my map was held by about seven tribes:

Cantiaci, in Kent
Regnenses, in Surrey and Sussex.
Trinovantes, in Essex and Suffolk
Catuvellauni, in Herts/Beds/Bucks
(These four cover the same approximate area of Sartar)

Atrebates, in Berkshire and north Hampshire

To be accurate, these names and borders come from the time after the Roman conquest, when each tribe was organised into a political sub-division and centrered on a tribal capital city. It's possible the Romans combined several smaller tribes and put them under the rule of a larger one for administrative convenience.

Perhaps by conicidence, each civitas appears to cover the same general area as a Sartarite City Confederation.

> "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...> writes:

>Oh, that's great! And personalised too: Bedford is where I work!

>From the look of that, I live at Sword Hill, work in Aldachur, and go to
>pub-meets in Boldhome.

All part of the service :) (Well OK, pure coincidence, but anyway,,,) By the same token I live near Caroman in Sambari lands, where "The locals greet lost wanderers wiith a warm hospitality and point them along the road." Yeah, right.

Stephen