Re: Suggestion for light_castle

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 16:32:50 -0400

A lunar campaign does have a lot to recommend it.

On 5 May 2004 at 18:41, mcaveney_at_... wrote:

> I'd actually reccomend a Lunar campaign.

> Players new to Glorantha always struggle with the learning curve - seems you
> have to digest books of information just to pick a character concept. You,
> the narrator, can dedicate some time to prepare and educate yourself up front,
> but it's much more difficult to prepare the players. They usually just want
> to show up and start adventuring :)
>
> For that reason I'd avoid playing a barbarian group. The Lunar viewpoint is
> much closer to a modern state of mind, though. IMHO most players will act correctly
> like a Lunar by default without even realizing what they are doing. You could
> lose yourself in detail writing a Lunar's character history, but you don't HAVE
> to know much at all. Establish the general character type and worry about the
> details later. The players can fill in their character histories down the road.

I do like that aspect for those who might be less willing/able to immerse themselves into a different culture. Especially for a first campaign.

> Meantime they'll be correctly roleplaying a Lunar newbie arriving in the provinces
> for the first time. They will learn about Glorantha through the local culture
> in-game, together, as it tries to kill them.

Plus if I *do* want a little of the Evil Empire, I can always have them find out their beloved Lunar Empire isn't quite as lovely as they think it is.

> I like Unspoken Word #2. It's an urban campaign set in Furthest. It's oriented
> towards roguish characters but can be adapted. Unspoken Word #1 describes the
> surrounding country. Technically it's in Dragon Pass but not the hyperdetailed
> part.

Hmmm.. both of those might be nice to use as starting points.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, people.

LC