RE: Re: Greetings and Felicitations

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 22:24:46 +0100

> >Mmm... In fact some quite significant chunks of the overall meta-plot
> >*aren't* already out there. Greg & co have surprises for us.

> I think you're rather overemphasising the importance of the
> metaplot.

No, I'm saying that *if* it's important to you, you need to be aware that much of it is hidden.

> Sure it's there and there are certain NPCs you need
> to be careful not to do anything permanent to but
> particularly for starting characters there's not much reason
> for them to be interacting to any great extent.

You mean apart from "it's fun"? A bunch of us generated PCs for a campaign, a very high percentage had loose links to major NPCs built into backstory. People do this. That's what NPCs are for, to interact with.

> There's also the fact that the important thing is the PCs
> storyline and the metaplot is mainly background. If your
> players really want to be Kallyr, Argrath and Broyan

I was thinking more of the people who want to *know* Kallyr, Argrath and Broyan. Do jobs for them, be known to them by name, and so on. Maybe be distantly related to them. Trivial details, fine, but as soon as you start saying "Broyan is my uncle", then someone publishes "Broyan has no siblings", and you're at variance. IF this matters to you. It might, it might not.