Re: Pantheons

From: light_castle_at_...
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 06:04:25 -0000

> Several years back, Greg Stafford was keen to make the Storm and
Solar
> pantheons more "self-sufficient": Elmal was invented to be the
> Orlanthi sun god, and Shargash as the Yelmic storm god. The
apparent
> overlap between the pantheons then emerges as a historical
phenomenon
> (starting with First Age contacts)... if you want!

Certainly a logical approach. What I was worried about was some sort of idea that Storm pantheon worshippers think the Sun is evil == that would just seem strange. So of course they don't. So on one level they are irreconcilable, on the other, they recognize each other. Just like what happens in the real world. As always, there are some priests who insist one thing, others another, then there are common folk who live on the border who know the myth is really *this* way, etc. etc.

> > Does the Earth Mother of one get acknowledged as the same entity
as
> > the earth mother of another?
>
> I'd have thought so, by her priestesses and devotees, if only in so
> far as there is only One Earth (or Four, or Sixty-Four; depending
> who's counting).
>
> You might enjoy Jeff Richard's take on the Esrolian cult of the
Magna
> Mater (a mystery cult which claims to be a survival from the
universal
> Earth worship of the Green Age), here:
>
> http://lokarnos.com/article.pl?sid=03/09/01/1553200

Actually, I like that alot. It fits my mind set. On one level they are all different, on another (and as is so often, it is a Mystery Cult level) someone unifies them mythologically. All are true and none. Lovely. :)

LC