Troll Gods

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 12:15:37 -0000

Peter Metcalfe

> Troll Gods is a book of Runequest Cults with terrible artwork.
Most of
> the Cults have been republished (for HQ) in the Book of Uz which
might
> still be available from Unspoken Word (the ones that aren't are
the cults
> of faraway places). It also contains a yellow booklet that
contains
> interesting troll lore but it isn't worth the set.

All absolutely true. However, hidden deep in the crevices of Troll Gods is one interesting little bit of information: and it looks like I typed it out in full, years ago (1997), so let me post it here.

You see, that yellow book Peter mentions is an in-Glorantha document, written by Minaryth Purple (remember him from OiD?) and completed in 1622. Let me cut&paste my comments & so on...

Included in "Troll Gods" is a document prepared by Minaryth Purple for the benefit of "Lord Harshax, Thane of the Culbrea". It is a collection of information about troll religions, much of which is of interest in its own right. However, the commentary by Minaryth himself has certain words underlined, apparently at random. This may have been meant as a "secret" message, though if so, Minaryth's habit of grossly underestimating the intelligence of those around him was being taken to extremes here. The underlined words are as follows: I have not attempted to introduce punctuation.

"First ambush failed leader avoided action my messenger believed treachery was inevitable new attack prepared against Lunar ritual one day earlier in illusion week dangerous confrontation serves our strategy basic researches note a spy search for Humakt people from Tarsh for secret haste surely is benefit force actions against imperial sympathizers immediately."

The date of the document is wind/fertility/fire 1622, and Harshax is said to have vanished soon afterwards. The copyists were working earlier in that same week, and one of them noted that Minaryth was in a hurry.