Re: Re: re:Alakorings and Heortlings

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 08:05:44 -0800

>>The difference between Heortling and Alakoringite is one of
>>kingship magic and rites. "Heortling" in this case has two
>>meanings: one refers to a tribe whose kingship magic and rites is
>>that established by Heort; the other is a cultural and linguistic
>>group that is descended from the ancient Heortling tribes. As
>>such, tribe can be both Alakoringite and Heortling.
>
>It's nice to see that HW is clarifying and simplfying things. I hope
>this is not the sort of thing we can expect from TR (Out really really
>soon).

Why should HW "clarify and simplify" cultures and religious practices? As long as the game mechanic itself is fairly clear and simple (and I have a lot of faith that TR will be much clearer than the first series of game books), then cultural complexity is a virtue not a vice. One of the principle reasons that Glorantha is an interesting game world to write for and to game in is its complexity and its contradictions.

Jeff