Re: Re: Last Refuge of Scoundrels

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:08:31 -0400

Sam,

On 13 May 2004 at 11:29, Sam Elliot wrote:

> Unless LC's players have (or will have) some power over one of those
> 100 gods, say bound like Harrek's polar bear god. That gives them
> another common enemy (KoW), though they might have to run fast, and
> the source of power they each want to take back to their homeland.
> It also gives them an interesting NPC, the god, which could even be
> their guardian and could have its own agenda. Of course, "god" could
> mean a lot of things so it needn't be excessively powerful,
> particularly one-track minded or particularly enamoured of the KoW
> itself. It surely isn't all roses and daffodils in the kingdom of
> War.

Steal a god from the KoW and make it your hero band guardian? Damn.

> A word of caution - running players, especially I suspect newbies,
> whose characters use different magic systems, requires a pretty good
> overview of da roolz from the narrator. It can be tricky when one
> player's spell is much more limited than another's feat or spirit,
> for example. Just worth bearing in mind.

Duly noted. In fact, (this is more a rule thing) it does seem very difficult to figure out how "powerful" magic is in the new system. While I'm all for the breaking away from things like levels and such, magic in HQ doesn't really seem to have that sense of "here are powerful dark magics that you should not try until you are ready". I'm not sure that really is a drawback, or if it is really true. It's more a sense from reading the magic system. LC