Re: Last Refuge of Scoundrels

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 23:16:45 -0000

>> Doing bad things to Gods is a *very* Malkioni activity (albeit >> nowadays it's a proscribed, evil, demonological thing to be doing).

> I don't think it's proscribed or evil. Malkioni demonology is
> based upon the concept of putting the False Gods and Spirits in
> their rightful places - Hell. That the practice has declined
> from earlier centuries is due to several factors but demonologists
> still do exist. One place is Loskalm where they have to combat the
> Krjalki that pore from the walls of the Syndic's Ban.

Deliberately interacting with pagan gods is what the Jrusteli God Learners did, and that led to the downfall of the Middle Sea Empire.

IMO, little-league demonology (combatting the krjalki, etc.) is not the same as "doing bad things to Gods".

Further, I understood Snodal's "sorcerous conspiracy" by which the Fronelan God of Silver Feet was murdered to have been considered a Bad Thing by pious Malkioni in Loskalm and elsewhere. I could be wrong, or out-dated, etc. (as usual).

Finally, the idea that Malkioni don't interact with or acknowledge the existence of any pagan entities is just plain wrong; I believe this notion still floats around out there, and may have been behind the original poster's "surprise" at a Western ritual killing a god. Which is why I mentioned that there's nothing particularly unusual about it.

Cheers, Nick