Re: Gloranthan West

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 09:24:22 +0100

Stephen Tempest:

>Since there are hints that Loskalm isn't quite as sweetness-and-light,
>pure and good as it presents itself, but has some nasty secrets at its
>core...

I don't think it does, really - except insofar as having accidentally created the Kingdom of War is a dark secret, of course. But there's two provisos to that. Firstly, as with any Gloranthan culture, whether the way it presents itself is actually seen by outsiders as 'good' is always open for debate. Loskalmi values are, on the whole, Malkioni values, and if you're, say, a Heortling, you're not going to be too keen on them. Just because there's no dark secret, doesn't mean everyone will like what's visibly presented! And, being inhabited by human beings, Loskalm certainly isn't perfect in every respect!

And secondly, of course, all this may change once the War Against War gets fully underway, and Loskalm has to repeatedly sacrifice its ideals in order to safe them...

>does this mean that the Kingdom of War has a corresponding
>well-hidden nice side?

I wouldn't put any money on it :)

Adept:

>On a related note, I'm still hoping for some more "colour" for the west
>of Glorantha. We already have Pendragon for playing Arthurian medieval
>fantasy. I think the highly advanced cultures of early Islamic
>middle-east would be a more fertile source.

Loskalm and the Castle Coast are pretty Arthurian in concept... but Seshnela, Safelster and Jonatela certainly aren't. Safelster and Carmania are probably your best bet for Islamic-type stuff, outside of Fonrit. Having said that, when I've been putting in the details of Malkioni worship, I've been inspired by Islam and Judaism as much as by Christianity.

>Monotheism, scienses, magi... an interesting language to draw names from
>and not one more group of germanic/scandinavian blondes tromping around
>Glorantha. :)

YGWV, but the Loskalmi are intended to be scandinavian blonds - more so than the Heortlings, in fact. The other Malkioni are less so, certainly.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic