Re: Gloranthan maps

From: S. Ben Melhuish <sben_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:09:33 -0700

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> Why doesn't anybody ever seem to mark national borders :(

This sounds like yet another YGMV things. I'm curious why they're important in YG. This is not, of course, a challenge to prove why YG is correct, just a request to hear someone else's vision.

In M(hypothetical)G, the borders don't make that much difference, with exceptions like the (well-mapped) glowline, which isn't exactly a national border anyway. MG wouldn't generally have guarded border crossings where your passport is inspected and stamped and tariffs paid -- that wouldn't feel properly bronze age to me. Changes would appear more gradually than that. The only way someone on the ground would be able to tell when he's crossed over might be the color of the flag flying over the local garrison's quarters, or perhaps in conversation with the locals. (And sometimes not even then -- when it comes down to it, does a peasant really care whether part of his harvest goes to Ruler A or Ruler B?)