Re: Gloranthan maps

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:29:22 +0200

LC & Donald :

>>I think you can trace a lot of the Glorantha borders using natural
>>features, so it probably isn't impossible to get one for Your Glorantha
>>(which May Vary), But I am glad at least some of the maps of the Lunar
>>Empire has borders of the empire (not the same as the GLowline) on them.
>>But even there, the various Sultanates and Provinces should have VERY
>>clear borders, since in a unified empire that would be a massive bone of
>>contention among political powers if you left it undefined.

Except of course that just such a massive bone of contention is there IMO ... :-)
>I'll bet that the clear borders marked on the maps have very little
>relationship to the facts on the ground. Even in the RW today national
>borders are very fluid things for the practical purposes of people
>living there except where governments put up barriers.

YRWWV ... ;-) Lots depends on which parts of RW or Glorantha you live in.

The border between, say, Afghanistan and Tajikistan is a very fluid one, whereas the border between France and Switzerland isn't.

I'd guess that border lines are fairly important in the feudal West, because at the micro level each local Lord and Knight needs to know which fields he owns and which peasants pay how much poll tax to whom, and at the macro level which local Lords are subject to which Kings, Bishops, et cetera ... This would remain important even at the national level IMO.

They don't strike me as being so important in most of central Genertela though. I can't see the Loonies thinking much of the idea, and we know that the Heortlings organize their Kingdoms along different lines. Possibly, the Esrolian border is more well defined, given the a strong local links to the Land and fields...

Julian Lord

--
"Hmmm, I've heard of other powers.

... Real Life ?"