Re: Esrolia

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:00:28 -0600

Peter Metcalfe says:

>Since the Kralori Emperors are very wise sages, they don't need
>much in the way of harems and thus even less need of eunuchs.

        It depends on why eunuchs are made. While all RW cultures that I'm aware of had a "don't mess with the harem" purpose, castration in a very family-oriented society could be a way of severing a child's ties with his family ("You will not carry on the family line, you will be given to the Emperor"). I have no idea if this fits with Kralori culture or not.

>Esrolia with its quasi-near-eastern
>atmosphere thus seemed the best place to find eunuchs and
>MOB's been writing about them there for some years now. I
>can't think of anywhere else they might go...

        The Afadjann write up in Enclosure 2 had eunuchs as I recall. It doesn't seem entirely out of place in Carmania, either. (There was something in the Glorantha Intro about men forced into the women's caste as a punishment, wasn't there? Castration could be part of that process.) Dara Happa is sufficiently anti-sex to have traditions of self-castration.

Peter Larsen