Re: [Hero Wars] Esrolia, definitive

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:48:53 -0800

At 09:27 PM 1/10/2001 +1300, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>>FGS>I am not convinced that this is an Esrolian practice at all.<
>
>Bah, Humbug! I suppose I shall have to describe this as a practice
>of a particular faction of queens or at least the Demivierge of
>Rhigos.

You may, in your own game, put them wherever you want of course. But except for some aberrant practices by some relatively minor subgroups, the Esrolians do not practice castration.

>>Glad to hear that! To my own dismay, though, I suppose there are
>>eunuchs in Glorantha somewhere. Kralorela and/or Fonrit perhaps?
>
>Kralori "eunuchs of the palace" are mentioned in the Glorantha:
>Intro p196. They probably are responsible to the Imperial
>Chamberlain.

OK with me. No problem with castrati among the Kralori.

>According to Missing Lands, Fonrit has one described eunuch, the
>Blueskin ruler of Barueli. The Heroes writeup of Fonrit said
>that "Harems are the rule for the rich potentates, guarded by
>jealous and powerful eunuchs."
>
>But the Byzantines had Eunuchs too who were important in
>government (such as Narses during the Gothic Wars) as did
>the Ptolemies of Egypt. Esrolia with its quasi-near-eastern
Quasi-near-eastern? Not in my game. They are derivative of the Vingkotlings.

>atmosphere thus seemed the best place to find eunuchs and
>MOB's been writing about them there for some years now. I
MOB too is welcome to interpret things for his own game in any way he wishes. But I will say it again: it's not a practice in Esrolia.

>can't think of anywhere else they might go...
Kralorela has eunuchs, Vithela has eunuchs, and Fonrit have eunuchs.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>