RE: Garrath the Argrath

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 00:40:29 +0100

> > He takes no part in the Dragonrise - none of the Argraths
> do, the last
> > I heard. That's Kallyr.
>
> IMO Kallyr is an Argrath too.

Come to think of it, she's now listed as one, yes. Though I don't think she's ever referred to by that title in her lifetime.

> > No, he doesn't light the Flame: Kallyr does.
>
> Exactly - she's an Argrath. Kallyr the Argrath. She's the
> first Argrath IMO, I don't have KOS on me, but I have even
> marked in my copy the paragraph that stops talking about
> Kallyr the Argrath and starts talking about "someone else the
> Argrath". Maniskison or Harshax, possibly.

?? I never spotted that in KoS! Kallyr the Argrath, in *there*?? If you ever find the reference again, I'd love to know about it.

> I agree with all the above. Specifically, I'm guessing, he
> masterminded a ruckus between Kallyr and Gunda

He persuaded Harrek to invade Sartar, anyway, I'm pretty sure of that. And he got him to leave Boldhome, after sacking it, by asking nicely, from the look of it.

> I think this
> is also something to do with a deal between Kallyr and Harrek
> more generally, where something was promised that she didn't
> want to deliver on, something to do with Boldhome. Possibly.

Now *that's* news to me, but certainly not impossible. Again, I'd love to know what you're basing it on.

> I don't think Kallyr is entirely
> innocent in this, I think that (like Broyan) she makes
> desperate alliances and promises that come back to bite her
> later. :-)

Oh, yes! She's been doing that for twenty-odd years, after all. Some of them are bound to work out badly.

> It's all YGWV territory though, and it'll be interesting to
> see how it plays out in the published line of books.
>
> Is this Digest territory?

Probably heading that way as soon as we start looking for obscure bits of KoS.

Did we answer the original question adequately?